Three people have been displaced following an early morning fire in New Bedford.

District Fire Chief Jeff Pothier says the fire was reported around 5:40 a.m. Wednesday.

Pothier said five crews were called to 102 Eugenia St. and upon arrival they saw flames shooting from the third floor.

"Upon arrival they had heavy fire coming from two windows on the third floor we had companies responding quickly and they were able to make quick access up to the third floor and knock the fire down," said Pothier "they had fire extend to the attic and again they knocked that down and vented the roof and made pretty quick work of it."

No injuries were reported but the home sustained an estimated $65,000 in damage.

Pothier says it's believed that the fire was started accidentally on the third floor which was under renonvation at the time.

There were materials, combustibles, left on the space heater and that ignited the fire," said Pothier.

The family is being assisted by the Red Cross at this time.

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420