Solar Panels Spark Roof Fire at New Bedford RMV
NEW BEDFORD — No injuries were reported as the result of a roof fire at the Registry of Motor Vehicles in New Bedford Tuesday afternoon.
At approximately 2 p.m., the New Bedford Fire Department responded to the RMV, located in the business park in the city's North End.
District Fire Chief Jeff Pothier tells WBSM News solar panels sparked the blaze, which spread to approximately “five or 10 solar panels amongst hundreds of solar panels.”
“At this time we’ve knocked down the fire and are attempting to shut down the power to the building and are checking for any extensions,” continued Pothier.
“It’s not really a safe area to access at this time. There’s some water damage in the building, but crews are still in there assessing.”
The extent of water damage to inside the building is not known at this time.
The fire is actively under investigation by the New Bedford Fire Department.