Search Continues for New Bedford Fisherman Overboard Near Nantucket
NANTUCKET — The U.S. Coast Guard is still looking for a fisherman who reportedly went overboard from his New Bedford-based vessel off the coast of Nantucket late Sunday night.
"As of right now, it's still an active, ongoing search," said Coast Guard Petty Officer Ryan Noel earlier this morning.
Noel said the 36-year-old man was reported missing and presumed overboard by his crewmates on the fishing vessel Blue Wave out of New Bedford about 60 nautical miles southeast of Nantucket.
The search is being conducted by air and sea, with aircraft from Air Station Cape Cod as well as the Coast Guard Cutter Tybee involved in the operation.
Although it is unclear exactly how the man went overboard, Noel said they do know that he does not have a life jacket.
"Without a life jacket, it decreases the chances of survival over long periods of time," he said, adding that the Coast Guard recommends wearing a life jacket at all times while at sea.