New Bedford Teen Arrested for Playground Shootings
NEW BEDFORD — The suspect in two recent shooting incidents at a New Bedford playground has been arrested.
Police said that detectives found information tying a 16-year-old juvenile to two separate shooting incidents at Montes Park playground in the past several weeks.
On June 25, Narcotics and Major Crimes detectives searched an apartment at 10 Washington St. in an investigation targeting the juvenile.
During the search, police said they found crack cocaine, cash, ammunition, and a loaded semi-automatic .45 caliber pistol with the serial numbers defaced.
According to police, the detectives also found information connecting the teenager to two separate Montes Park shootings this spring.
The first shooting took place on May 23 and the second on June 12.
Both incidents caused damage to vehicles, and on June 12 one of the bullets passed through the window of a nearby apartment building.
Police said the juvenile currently has an open case in New Bedford district court for assault with a firearm earlier this year.