NEW BEDFORD - A New Bedford man is dead after suffering an apparent fatal overdose.

Police were called before 12:30 A.M. Monday morning to an apartment in the 200-block of Ashley Boulevard for a 54-year-old man not breathing. One of the man's neighbors in the building had given him several doses of Narcan while another neighbor performed CPR.

He was taken to St. Luke's Hospital in New Bedford where he was pronounced dead.

Police say drug paraphernalia was found in the man's apartment.

It's the first reported fatal overdose in the city in 2017. Police say 42 people died of overdoses in New Bedford in 2016.

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420