New Bedford Police Arrest Man Connected to July 25 Shooting
NEW BEDFORD — After a chase that led New Bedford police through several city neighborhoods, detectives have arrested a man they believe is connected to a shooting on County Street last week.
Police said that 20-year-old Stoughton resident Geovante Baez was arrested for his suspected role in the July 25 shooting that damaged a home — the second shooting that took place that day.
On August 1, detectives investigating the incident arrived at 116 Pleasant St. to speak with Baez, who police say had a warrant for his arrest out of the Department of Youth Services.
Baez fled on foot before getting into a vehicle as the detectives gave chase.
During the pursuit, police said Baez leaped out of the vehicle, then ran south on Acushnet Avenue in the area of Monte's Park.
He then got into another vehicle, according to police.
Detectives ultimately stopped him at Walnut Street and Route 18 southbound, where he was taken into custody.
Baez is charged with a warrant arrest, attempting to commit assault and battery by
discharge, firing a gun within 500 feet of a dwelling, malicious damage to a motor
vehicle, and three counts of carrying a loaded firearm without a license.