Massachusetts Costume Designer Brings Exhibit to New Bedford
A new exhibit has made its way to New Bedford and we have many local organizations to thank for the opportunity. “Uncommon Threads: The Works of Ruth E. Carter,” is a solo exhibition that celebrates the one and only Ruth E. Carter and her 30-year career as an Academy Award-winning costume designer from Massachusetts.
The New Bedford Art Museum (NBAM), in collaboration with the New Bedford Historical Society, New Bedford Free Public Library, New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park, UMass Dartmouth CVPA, and Massachusetts-based archivists Rememory Consulting, is proud to present this one-of-a-kind exhibit. This retrospective opened at NBAM on Saturday, May 1, and will run through Sunday, November 14.
“Uncommon Threads” features costumes from Dolemite Is My Name (2019), Roots (2016 reboot), Selma (2014), Do The Right Thing (1989), and Malcolm X (1992). The exhibit will follow Carter’s creative process and include sketches, mood boards, iconic costumes, and other ephemera from her Los Angeles studio.
Click HERE to get your tickets to see Uncommon Threads: The Works of Ruth E. Carter at New Bedford Art Museum.
Before you purchase a Timed Entry Admission ticket, please note:
- Tickets are valid for entry for the specific time and date slot you select.
- You must include an email address with your order to receive your ticket confirmation.
- Please do not attempt to purchase multiple time slots on the same day.
NBAM asks for your partnership in the following:
- Visitors must wear facial covering/mask at all times regardless of vaccination status.
- Visitors must maintain at minimum a six-foot distance from others.
- Visitors who do not comply with these requirements may be asked to leave.
- Members - You must sign in/register at the top of the screen to receive your member discount. Member discount is automatically applied at the time of purchase.
- If you have questions about how to sign in as a member, please call 508-961-3072 or email us at email@example.com.