New Bedford Man Sentenced for Slashing Ex With a Knife
NEW BEDFORD — A New Bedford man who slashed his ex-girlfriend in her face and arm with a knife in 2018 will spend three years in state prison after he was sentenced last week.
The Bristol County District Attorney's Office said 40-year-old Rolando Ibarra pleaded guilty to charges of assaulting the victim with a dangerous weapon.
On August 3, 2018, police responded to a reported domestic assault at 323 Highland St.
According to the D.A.'s office, the victim was asleep in her apartment when she got a call to open the front door from a person she thought was her stepson.
But when she opened the door, her ex boyfriend Ibarra pushed his way inside.
The victim told him to leave, but he refused and pulled out a knife, asking where her dog was before pushing her and slashing her in the face and arm.
The D.A.'s office said after police arrived, she was taken to hospital with a cut lip and a two-inch cut on her arm.
According to the office, the victim died in December 2020 of a drug overdose.
Despite her death, DNA evidence from the scene and statements she made during a 911 call were admitted as evidence in court, at which point the defendant pleaded guilty to the charges.
“I am pleased the defendant was held accountable for his violent assault against the victim despite the fact that she passed away prior to the trial,” Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn said.