UPDATE 10:51 a.m. - A fugitive is caught in Acushnet after evading police in Fairhaven.

Fairhaven Police Sgt. Kevin Kobza tells WBSM News Officer Pamela Bourgault was conducting a motor vehicle stop for a cracked windshield on Alpine Avenue in North Fairhaven around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday when the passenger fled the scene.

Kobza says the suspect made his way through several yards in the area and entered the home of a relative on Jakes Lane in Acushnet where he was found hiding under a bed.

The suspect, James Sylvia, Jr., 28, of New Bedford, was arrested at the scene and placed into the rear of the cruiser. However, Kobza says Sylvia has very slim wrists and was able to escape the handcuffs and exit the cruiser, forcing his way into a home on Porter Street.

Acushnet and Fairhaven Police made their way to the rear of the home and tried to gain entry into a locked room where Sylvia was believed to be hiding. Sylvia reportedly broke a window, causing a severe laceration to his wrist, and jumped outside. Police found Sylvia outside of the home and tased him after he resisted arrest.

Sylvia has been charged by Fairhaven Police with disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest. Acushnet Police have filed charges against Sylvia as well, including breaking and entering in the nighttime, destruction of property over $250, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, and disturbing the peace.

Sylvia was wanted on a felony warrant for intimidation of a witness out of New Bedford Third District Court.

The Massachusetts State Police Air Wing and K-9 units assisted in the search.

Original Story 10:31 p.m.

ACUSHNET - A traffic stop in Fairhaven leads to a man being tased by police in Acushnet.

Fairhaven Police say officers were conducting a traffic stop in the town shortly after 8 p.m. when the unidentified driver fled the stop on foot.

Fairhaven Police requested the aid of Acushnet Police and the Massachusetts State Police Air Wing to search for the man, who reportedly had several outstanding warrants for his arrest.

Police were searching the area near Alden Road and South Main Street in Acushnet when they received a report of the suspect near a home on Porter Street.

Acushnet and Fairhaven Police quickly made their way to 90 Porter Street where they encountered the suspect. This reporter heard glass shattering, followed by an officer commanding the suspect to "get on the ground." Police deployed a TASER to subdue the suspect.

The unidentified male was transported to St. Luke's Hospital with minor injuries. It's not yet clear what charges will be filed against him.

We'll have more information as it becomes available.

More From WBSM-AM/AM 1420