Lightning Strike Causes Chimney of New Bedford Home to Explode
NEW BEDFORD — Thunderstorms rolling across the Southcoast Thursday morning left property owners tallying up damage in New Bedford's South End.
New Bedford firefighters responded at around 7:45 a.m. to 138 Butler Street, where lighting had apparently hit the roof of a multi-family home, causing the chimney to explode.
New Bedford Fire Chief Michael Gomes tells WBSM News smoke was found in the attic and basement of the home, but no fire was found.
Pieces of brick from the chimney rained onto the street below, shattering the sunroof of one car and causing damage to at least one home near 138 Butler Street.
No injuries were reported.
Firefighters cleared the scene by 8:30 a.m.