Fall River Bridges to Undergo Inspection, Detours and Closures Planned
FALL RIVER — Both the Braga Bridge and the Veterans Memorial Bridge are about to undergo planned inspections by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, leading to lane closures and detours.
Tonight, the Braga Bridge is undergoing inspection work beginning at 8 p.m. and concluding at about 1 a.m. According to MassDot, there will be right lane and right shoulder closures in the eastbound direction of Interstate 195 during the inspection process.
Also tonight, MassDOT will continue performing test openings of the drawbridge on the Veterans Memorial Bridge spanning between Fall River and Somerset. The tests begin at 7 p.m. tonight and will conclude at 5 a.m. tomorrow, with 12 test openings planned lasting about 10-15 minutes each.
On Sunday, December 19, there will be detours in place for inspection of the Veterans Memorial Bridge. The ramp carrying Route 6 eastbound to Route 79 northbound will be temporarily detoured that night from 9 p.m. Sunday until 5 a.m. on the morning of Monday, December 20.
According to MassDOT, the detour will be as follows:
– Continue on the exit for Route 6 eastbound and Routes 79 southbound and 138 southbound toward Fall River/Tiverton, Rhode Island.
– Stay to the right towards Route 6 eastbound toward Fall River.
– Merge onto Route 6 eastbound and stay toward the left towards Route 79 northbound to Fall River/Taunton.
– Merge onto Route 6 westbound and stay toward the right to Route 79, Route 24 northbound Taunton/Middleboro.
– Stay to the left towards Route 79 northbound and Route 24 northbound to Taunton/Middleboro.
All scheduled work is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.