WESTPORT — Two Westport High School students have been transported to the hospital after smoking an e-cigarette pen.

Westport Police and Fire units responded to Westport High School on Friday to reports concerning the behavior of one of the students.  That student was said to be displaying signs of “being under the influence” and “erratic behavior.”

While being evaluated by medical personnel, the student continued to display erratic and violent behavior to the extent he had to be restrained for his safety and the safety of first responders.

An investigation by the High School Administration and School Resource Officer Kyle Fernandes revealed several students had ingested an e-cigarette pen which contained a mixture of THC and nicotine.  As a result of the investigation another student was transported to the hospital.  All other students suspected to be involved with the ingestion of the e-cigarette were evaluated by the school nurse and Westport Fire Department Paramedics.

E-cigarettes are devices used to heat a liquid into an aerosol which the user inhales. The liquid usually contains flavored nicotine and other additives. The nicotine in e-cigarettes and regular cigarettes is addictive.  Additionally, e-cigarettes can contain harmful and potentially harmful ingredients, including ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs; flavorants such as diacetyl, a chemical linked to serious lung disease; volatile organic compounds; and heavy metals, such as nickel, tin, and lead.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been investigating a multi-state outbreak of lung disease associated with the use of e-cigarette products. Last week, Massachusetts Public Health Commissioner Monica Bharel mandated that vaping-related illnesses be immediately reported to the Department of Public Health for the next 12 months.

In a statement, Detective Sergeant Christopher Dunn said, “Members of the Westport High School staff and administration should be credited with their quick response in making sure all students remained safe and received the proper medical treatment.”

The condition of the students transported to the hospital is not known at this time.