A fire early Monday all but totaled a three family building at 120-to-122 Oakdale Street in New Bedford's West End.

District Chief David Cooper says the fire broke out shortly after 3am on the second floor back porch, and then accelerated after igniting a propane tank on the first floor porch. Cooper says all the occupants got out safely...

The occupants were assisted by the Red Cross. Work crews were boarding up the rear of the building on Monday afternoon.

Cooper says a discarded cigarette may have sparked the fire, but the official cause remains under investigation. A pet rabbit and two birds were killed in the blaze.

Rear of 120-122 Oakdale St. / Jim Phillips / TSM