Two People Rescued from South End Fire
New Bedford Police and Fire rescued two people from a burning house in the city's South End early Saturday morning.
The Dartmouth Street fire was reported just after four o'clock, when a 9-year-old occupant was awakened by smoke alarms.
Fire Chief Michael Gomes said police were first on the scene. Firefighters arrived shortly thereafter and rescued a man in a second floor bedroom. Both victims were taken to Rhode Island Hospital for treatment. The man suffered first, second and third degree burns to over 50 percent of his body.
Seven people were in the home at the time of the fire. One police officer is being treated for smoke inhalation.
Damage to the house was primarily contained to a second floor bedroom. The cause appears to be accidental, but Gomes said the investigation is ongoing.