Southcoast Standoff Ends Peacefully — Shooter Indentified [UPDATE]
A lone gunman brought Rt 140 to a standstill Thursday night, as he barricaded himself in an apartment.
The first round of shots rang out around 5pm as police were responding to a call of a suicidal man with a gun in the Southcoast Condominiums on Phillips Road.
New Bedford and State Police immediately shut down Rt 140 between exits 6 and 7 as well as Phillips Road.
Several more shots were fired by the suspect during the four-hour standoff, with police returning fire.
A State Police armored vehicle was able to shatter one of the apartment's windows, allowing police to give the man a cell phone which they used to communicate.
Just before 9pm, the suspect surrendered to police without further incident.
Police Chief David Provencher says the suspect was pushed to a breaking point.
Provencher says the shooter had been using drugs in the days leading up to last night, which he adds may have fueled the situation.
Provencher says the man, who's name has not been released, will face a number of charges including firing on police officers.
No injuries or deaths were reported. Police are conducting a formal investigation.
Update 7:38am Friday - The police have identified the gunman as 30-year-old John Hernandez. He'll be facing many charges when he gets to district court.