Set Teachers Up for Success with the Kia of Dartmouth Drive to Supply Our Schools
Can you imagine having to decide between paying an electric bill or buying your child a new backpack and pencils for the start of school?
Many families in our area often lack the funds to buy their children the school supplies they need for the fall and many times, teachers are paying for the supplies out of pocket to make sure their students are set up for success.
Kia of Dartmouth's Drive to Supply Our Schools with Fun107, Care Free Homes, Southcoast Health, and Cindy Irving Photography will work with the United Way of Greater New Bedford to collect critical school supplies for the area classrooms most in need. Here's what you need to know about getting involved:
Where/When Can I Donate?
- The Kia of Dartmouth Drive to Supply Our Schools is a one-day-only collection happens on Saturday, August 18 at Walmart in Dartmouth and Walmart in Wareham.
- Stop by either location between 10-12 p.m. during our collection, and your donation will automatically enter you to win a pair of tickets to see 5 Seconds of Summer, Bruno Mars, Drake + Migos, or Niall Horan! Plus, we'll be giving away 20 BIC backpacks full of new, hard-to-find BIC must-haves for the 2018-2019 school year.
Who Gets the Supplies?
- On the SouthCoast alone, there are over 35,000 children who live in poverty. This means that roughly 1 in 4 children on the SouthCoast will have to go to school without the necessary supplies needed to set them up for a successful school year. With the help of the United Way and the New Bedford and Wareham public school systems, we will get the supplies to the schools most at risk for needing them this fall.
What Can I Donate?
- Writing Utensils: pencils + pencil sharpeners, highlighters, pens, markers, crayons, dry erase markers
- Paper Products: spiral notebooks, sticky notes, folders, filler paper (for binders)
- Carrying Cases: pencil boxes, backpacks
- Learning Tools: rulers, calculators
- Miscellaneous Items: binders, erasers, glue sticks, staplers, stickers, scissors, clipboards, paper clips, tape + dispenser
- Sanitary Items: hand sanitizer, tissues, Clorox wipes
How Can My Business Get Involved?
- Your business can get involved simply by starting a collection! If you are one of the many businesses or programs on the SouthCoast with tons of great people, send out a memo about getting involved. We'll send someone over to your building to pick up the supplies and add them to the collection.
Drop Off Sites Include:
The Drive to Supply Our Schools collection is made possible thanks to our generous sponsors Kia of Dartmouth, Care Free Homes, Southcoast Health, Cindy Irving Photography and Get Air Swansea. Special thanks to the United Way of Greater New Bedford for getting the supplies into the classrooms who need it most through Greater New Bedford and Wareham.