Sargento Recalls Cheeses Due To Listeria Concern
Sargento Foods Inc. is recalling several of its cheese products due to the chance that the cheese may be contaminated with listeria.
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC informed Sargento that a specialty Longhorn Colby cheese they supplied had to be recalled due to possible contamination in the cheese.
According to WPRI 12, the affected products include:
- Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, with “sell by” dates of “12APR17B” and “10MAY17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040041, with “sell by” dates of “H14JUN17″ and “H12JUL17″
These additional products were also recalled because they were packaged on the same line as the affected cheese:
- Sargento Sliced Colby Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000109 with “sell by” date of “11JUN17B”
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000108 with “sell by” dates of “12JUN17B,” “09JUL17B,” and “10JUL17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002 with “sell by” dates of “H14JUN17,” “F28JUN17,” and “D28JUN17″
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby-Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014 with “sell by” date of “F05JUL17″
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with “sell by” date of “F05JUL17″
Listeria monocytogenes is a bacterium which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, elderly people, and those with weakened immune systems. Among pregnant women, it can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths.
So far, no illnesses have been reported.
According to the FDA, no other Sargento products were affected by the recall.
To check if your product is included in the recall, use the “Search Product” tool on Sargento’s website. Consumers can also contact the company by calling Sargento Consumer Affairs at 1-800-243-3737, from 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. (Eastern Time), or by submitting questions on its website.