Patrick Again Requests Aid For Fishermen
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick has again asked the federal government for $21 million in fisheries disaster assistance to help the region’s struggling fleet.
Patrick was denied the same request in 2010, but renewed it last year, along with data he said showed the hardship fishermen face under new fishing rules. On Monday, he sent another letter to the U.S. Commerce Department, citing new forecasts by regulators of steep cuts in the catch limit for various bottom-dwelling groundfish in 2013.
Patrick wrote that, just as the government aids farmers during a crisis, it should help fishermen as soon as possible. He said, otherwise, he fears “for the viability” of the fleet. Last week, similar requests for disaster relief were renewed by state members of Congress, including Senators John Kerry and Scott Brown.