OPINION | Ken Pittman: Did Obama Ignore Migrant Child Abuse?
The American Civil Liberty Union released a report alleging massive physical and mental abuse of migrant children who were kept in facilities controlled by Customs and Border Patrol agencies.
The report was released on May 22, 2018, just a month ago. But the abuses they are alleging are from the years 2009 to 2014.
Every one of those six consecutive years was during the Obama Administration.
The 30,000 pages of records obtained by the ACLU in a Freedom of Information Act request show that officials were notified many times over.
Examples of some of the most egregious abuse in the report:
- Punched a child’s head three times
- Kicked a child in the ribs
- Used a stun gun on a boy, causing him to fall to the ground, shaking, with his eyes rolling back in his head
- Ran over a 17-year-old with a patrol vehicle and then punched him several times
- Verbally abused detained children, calling them dogs and “other ugly things”
- Denied detained children permission to stand or move freely for days, and threatened children who stood up with transfer to solitary confinement in a small, freezing room
- Denied a pregnant minor medical attention when she reported pain, which preceded a stillbirth
- Subjected a 16-year-old girl to a search in which they “forcefully spread her legs and touched her private parts so hard that she screamed”
- Left a four-pound premature baby and her minor mother in an overcrowded and dirty cell full of sick people, against medical advice
- Threw out a child’s birth certificate and threatened him with sexual abuse by an adult male detainee.
"The documents provide evidence that U.S. officials were aware of these abuses as they occurred, but failed to properly investigate, much less to remedy, these abuses." -- ACLU
What does this say about the administration that failed to protect all of those children for all of those years? The epic levels of inhumanity allegedly leveled against the migrant children went unchecked, unaudited, and it will be amazing to see what you will see over the next week as the rest of the nation catches up regarding this information.
The liberal media will not blame President Obama for any of this. The focus will be on President Trump placing the children in these deplorable conditions, none of which we have reason to believe are still going on, as this report concludes in 2014.
Who was hiring these CBE agents? Who are these agents and who is supervising these agents? Is there any information contrary to these accusations? Does the ACLU realize the Obama Administration is going to be hit hard? If so, I will give them credit for taking the boot heel off of Trump's throat long enough to be honest about Obama's inadequacies, but I think they overlooked the time frame and the implications to pin this abuse on Trump somehow.
If a small fraction of this is true, an actual firing squad should be assembled. People should be terminated and others imprisoned. The media should be honest about this, too, but none of those things will happen.
Those things only happen where people care about right from wrong.
Ken Pittman is the host of The Ken Pittman Show on 1420 WBSM New Bedford. He can be heard Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @RadioKenPittman. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.