New Bedford Man Sentenced in Assault Case
FALL RIVER — A 30-year-old New Bedford man with a lengthy criminal record whose violent assault on another city man resulted in the victim’s hospitalization was sentenced last week to serve five to seven years in state prison, District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III announced.
Manuel Mattias pleaded guilty in Fall River Superior Court last week to a two-count indictment charging him with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and aggravated assault and battery.
On October 15, 2014, the victim was helping out at a now-closed liquor store on County Street when the defendant tried to enter around closing time. According to the store owner, the defendant became angry that the victim did not want to let him in at closing time, and the two had a minor scuffle inside the store.
Hours later, while the victim was outside his home talking to friends on Washington Street, he was attacked by the defendant. The victim was punched and knocked to the ground, where he was kicked in the head. The victim also told police he was struck with a board. The victim was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital in New Bedford, but due to the severity of his injuries he had to be transferred to Rhode Island Hospital for treatment of a subdural hematoma.
The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Stephen “Chuck” Nadeau and the sentence was handed down by Judge Raffi Yessayan.
“This is another senseless act of violence committed by a defendant who has a history of committing violent acts. The victim was seriously injured as a result of this aggravated assault,” District Attorney Quinn said. “The defendant is a danger to the community and we need to be protected from him.”
--Bristol County District Attorney's Office