New Bedford High Seniors Recognized with Mayor’s List Awards
NEW BEDFORD — Mayor Jon Mitchell recognized his Mayor's List Award winners at a ceremony this afternoon at the New Bedford Art Museum.
The Mayor's List recognizes the top 10 scholars from the senior class at New Bedford High School.
This is the fifth annual Mayor's List Awards in celebration of the outstanding academic achievements of the top ten graduating seniors at New Bedford High School. The ceremony is also an opportunity to learn more about the graduates' career goals, their chosen fields of study, and where they plan to pursue their post-secondary education.
Receipients for 2018 by class rank were:
1. Meng Lian: The valedictorian will be attending Worcester Polytechnic Institute in the fall, majoring in Chemistry. She was also accepted to UMass Amherst and the Rhode Island School of Design. Upon graduating college, Meng hopes to become a medical researcher. She has served as a member of the Ambassadors Club, the National Honor Society, Student Advisory Council, Great Outdoors Club, Mural Club and Drama Club. She's also been active on the swimming and diving team, as well as the track and field team.
2. Peyton Calvao: Peyton will be attending Western New England University to major in pharmaceutical studies. She was also accepted to University of New England, University of Connecticut, Stonehill College, University of Rhode Island, Nova Southeastern University and Western New England University. Peyton hopes to pursue a doctoral degree in pharmacy along with an MBA, and use these to work as a community pharmacist and ultimately manage a pharmacy. Peyton has captained the varsity soccer team, ran winter track and played lacrosse. She is the president of this year's senior class, and has been an active member in the National Honor Society and Key Club.
3. Abigail Jupin: Abigail will attend Tufts University, with a double major in Biology and Visual Arts. She hopes to then become active in the fight for environmental conservation and protection, and perhaps even go on to teach future generations about the importance of conservation. She was a varsity captain of the swim team, and also ran track. She's been an active member of the Science, Drama, Mural and Ambassador Clubs, as well as the National Honor Society.
4. Kaitlyn Goncalves: Kaitlyn will be attending the University of Rhode Island to pursue a degree in pharmaceutical studies. She was also accepted at the University of Connecticut, UMass Dartmouth, Salve Regina University, and the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. After graduating URI, Kaitlyn hopes to become a pharmacist at a local hospital, where she can help patients in her community when they need it most. She is a member of the National Honor Society and the Key Club, was captain of the winter track team and also played lacrosse.
5. Erin Rezendes: Erin will be attending Bridgewater State University in the fall, where she plans to major in mathematics and secondary education. She was also accepted at UMass Dartmouth, Stonehill College, Roger Williams University, Framingham State University and the University of Rhode Island. Upon graduating college, Erin hopes to go back to the classroom and teach the next generation of high school students to appreciate math. She has captained three sports (field hockey, basketball and lacrosse) and is a member of the National Honor Society.
6. Madison Ashworth: Madison will be attending Suffolk University in the fall, where she plans to double major in Theater and English. She was also accepted at New York University, UMass Amherst, Clark University, Lesley University and MCLA. After completing college, she plans to find work in dramaturgy and ultimately become a playwright. Madison sang in the Show Choir, Concert Chorale, Jazz Choir and the Pure Energy Show Choir. She was also very active in the Theatre Company, Climbing Club, Mural Club and National Honor Society.
7. Emma Abi-Younes: Emma will attend UMass Amherst to pursue an engineering degree. She was also accepted at UMass Dartmouth. Emma would like to work as a consultant to help businesses develop innovative and creative approaches to problem solving. She has been an active member of the Ambassadors Club and played in the Marching and Concert Bands.
8. Jin Feng Lin: Jin will be attending UMass Dartmouth, where he plans to major in computer engineering. After graduating college, Jin plans to continue his education. He may even return to the classroom to teach others about programming and engineering.
9. Angelica Nascimento: Angelica will be attending Umass Amherst this fall, where she will major in Political Science and minor in Languages. She was also accepted at University of Connecticut, Spelman College and High Point University. After finishing her undergraduate studies, Angelica plans to go on to law school in hopes of becoming an immigration lawyer. Angelica has been very active in a wide variety of extracurricular activities, including the Ambassadors Club, the Mayor's Youth Council, Choir, Concert and Marching Band, Chamber Orchestra, and in track and field. She is also the captain of the Debate Team, and President of the National Honor Society.
10. Zara Lemieux: Zara will be studying drama with the Atlantic Acting Studio at New York University. Zara was also accepted at Marymount College, Wagner College, UMass Amherst and Pace University. Zara hopes to become an actor and establish a theater company that makes quality theater accessible to all. She has enjoyed working with her family in the New Bedford High School Theatre Company, of which she has served as president.