Simple Huevos Rancheros [RECIPE]
Do you want a hearty breakfast with plenty of flavor to keep you going until your next meal?
The flavors from the green chiles combined with the roasted tomatoes, onions and chili powder sets this dish in a category all its own. Don’t be intimidated by the many ingredients. They are easy to assemble together without much fuss and time.
To enhance the spices and other ingredients with the tomatoes, I let them marinate for about 10 minutes. I hope you love it as much as we do!
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes without salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 of a white onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green chiles
- 1/8 of a cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, blackened on the gas or electric burner for flavor
- Sliver of butter
- Preheat the oven to 500° F and adjust rack to the middle position of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drain tomatoes with a strainer and reserve the juice. You want to strain as much juice as possible for this will be added back into the recipe later. Add lime juice and brown sugar to tomato juice. Stir and set aside so ingredients meld together well.
- In a separate bowl, combine minced onion, green chiles, oil, chili powder and drained tomatoes. Let mixture rest for 10 minutes to redistribute the flavors. Transfer tomato mixture to lined baking sheet and evenly spread the mixture. Roast until charred in spots, 15-20 minutes. Halfway through baking reduce oven temperature to 400° F.
- Lightly butter bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish to make sure eggs don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Transfer tomato mixture to baking dish and spread evenly. Add shredded Pepper Jack cheese on top of mixture. Using a spatula, push aside mixture to form 4 holes. Place an egg in each hole.
- Bake about 12-15 minutes or until the whites have set. Take out baking dish and tent a piece of aluminum foil on the dish for about 5 minutes. Chop cilantro and dice avocado. Plate the eggs on a dish and put avocado and cilantro on the top for garnish. Serve with warm tortillas.
YIELDS: 2 servings