How Do You Cure Hiccups?
More than a dozen students at a school in Danvers have developed the hiccups. Officials at Essex Aggie don’t know why and they’ve contacted the Department of Health. We did some digging to find a cure for these kids.
Discovery Health has some tips that we’ve heard over the years:
- Drink water or gargle.
- Have someone scare you.
- Hold your breath.
- Breathe into a paper bag. It’s similar to holding your breath. The theory is, it creates a build-up of carbon dioxide and your body focuses on getting rid of it, instead of the hiccups.
Then there’s a few interesting ones:
- Swallow a spoonful of sugar. Overloading the nerve endings with a sweet sensation sometimes helps.
- Block your ears. If you put your fingers in your ears it stimulates some of the same nerves.
- Tickle the roof of your mouth with a cotton swab.
- And, pull on your tongue. A quick YANK is said to do the trick.
Do you have any tricks that help you cure the hiccups?