Friday Morning Fire on Cottage Street Not Suspicious
NEW BEDFORD – A fire early Friday morning on Cottage Street in New Bedford is not considered to be suspicious.
The fire was reported at 2:44 a.m. Friday at a home at 150 Cottage Street. Upon arrival, firefighters saw a small fire that originated on the second floor balcony. The fire was contained and extinguished within a matter of minutes, and only caused minor damage. No injuries were reported.
New Bedford Fire Chief Michael Gomes tells WBSM News it appears the fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials, most likely a cigarette.
Chief Gomes says the fire is not related to the rash of suspicious fires that are currently under investigation by New Bedford Fire and Police officials.