Fairhaven firefighters responded to a house fire at 204 Washington Street Tuesday night. The fire was called in shortly after 9 when the resident of the home lost power and heard crackling in the walls.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the front of the home on the first floor. It took them about an hour to bring the blaze under control. 2 adults and 2 dogs escaped unharmed and were unable to return to the home.

Damage was estimated at $200,000 and officials believe the fire was electrical in nature and traveled through the walls on the first floor to the second floor and attic. Fairhaven Fire Officials say the property is owned by Bob and Donna Westgate.