Federal Judge Approves Settlement For NB Harbor Cleanup
A federal court has accepted a $366 million settlement to remove PCB’s from New Bedford Harbor.
Attorney General Martha Coakley said Wednesday that she’s pleased the United States District Court has accepted the settlement.
Coakley called the ruling “an important step for the economic development of the harbor” which will provide “significant public health benefits for the community.”
Mayor Jon Mitchell agrees and is looking foreward to seeking the harbor cleaned up.
Not everyone has been pleased with the settlement.
Critics say the Environmental Protection Agency has underestimated the cost to remove the PCBs, in the harbor. Earlier this year, New Bedford state Sen. Mark Montigny said the proposed settlement with AVX Corp. fell short.
Officials said the deal will achieve cleanup goals within 5-7 years, rather than 40 years under current funding levels. (Associated Press & WBSM News)