Early Morning Fire Leaves 15 People Homeless
A fire early Saturday in a large rooming house at 201 Ashley Boulevard leaves a total of 15 people homeless. Firefighters responded to the blaze around 7:30am. There were no injuries reported.
A spokesman for the New Bedford Fire Department says the fire was located on the fourth floor. He said the fire ignited in a mattress and is believed to be accidental. The building had a large hole in its roof, with much water damage inside. It was boarded up Saturday afternoon.
The American Red Cross says it's assisting the occupants with housing.