Early Morning Fire in Fairhaven
FAIRHAVEN—At 5:31 this morning, Fairhaven firefighters were called out to 303 Mill Road in Fairhaven for a report of an explosion in the basement. Three fire engines were dispatched and arriving units found a heavy smoke condition in the house. The residents were home and asleep at the time of the incident and evacuated safely prior to fire departments arrival.
Fire personnel discovered a fire in the crawlspace beneath the residence, which they were able to contain to the area of origin. This fire occurred in one of the areas of Fairhaven not served by a municipal fire hydrant system, requiring additional apparatus to provide sufficient water to fight the fire. No Injuries to firefighters or residents were reported. The fire was believed to be caused by a malfunctioning dehumidifier in the crawl space of the basement.
Damage to the structure was limited to approximately $5,000.
Sixteen firefighters responded to the call, and all apparatus and personnel were clear of the scene by 7 a.m.
--Fairhaven Fire Department